Friday, January 7, 2011

The Innebriated Inn-Keep. (The Lazy Knights Companions)

"Oh where is the master of the inn?
The leaping fire lays low.
We are thirsty and need more gin."
This from a traveler fresh from the road.

The stable-boy said with a childhood grin.
"He's soused sir.
He lies with his head in the loo.
I fear he quaffed all your gin.
And there is naught a small boy like me can do.
The porcelain god has claimed his due.
I'll stable your horse sir and show you in.
The good-wife's awake and keeps a hot stew.
And if ye've got gold she'll tumble you too.

But there is naught that a boy like me can do.
With no gold in my pocket to trade for some stew.
I sir, shall have to settle for Soup."

Shaking his head the tired traveler said.
"Thank ye son. I just need a bed.
But if you'll bring stew to a quiet room
a hot pan of water and some linens too,
I may put half of that gold in your pocket for you.
What this! There is a goat in my room!!

"Don't mind her sir."
The glimmer of gold in his sly grin
"And I've managed to pilfer a measure of gin.
I'll be back right quick, with linens and stew."
Snapping his fingers he yelled at the goat
With a fancy ribbon tied at it's throat.
"Get out of here you!
Come on come with me!
Come on darling Soup!"

No comments:

Post a Comment